The holidays are upon us, and we hope that everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and New Year. This includes our family pets! With that in mind, here are a few safety tips for keeping our furry family members healthy and happy.
1. If you have a traditional Christmas tree, make sure it is securely anchored so climbing pets can't knock it over. Change water daily to prevent bacteria, which your pet may drink.
2. Avoid mistletoe, holly and lilies, all of which can cause severe sickness and even death if ingested by pets.
3. Kitties love tinsel, but if eaten, can cause an obstructed digestive tract. Brighten your tree with something other than sparkly tinsel.
4. Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or start a fire if they like to investigate. Use battery lighted substitutes.
5. Keep wires and batteries out of reach to prevent potentially lethal electric shock or burns. Put away fragile glass or plastic ornaments, as broken shards can damage your pet's mouth and digestive tract.
6. Christmas time is special and the food is divine, but definitely not meant for your pets. Chocolate and some sweeteners are poisonous to pets, while fatty and spicy foods can make them very sick. Bones can splinter and cause damage and even death.
7. Don't let your pets imbibe alcohol. It can cause illness, coma or death.
8. Give your pets an extra healthy treat or new toy to play with, and they will have a Merry Christmas! - Riley